Friday, April 8, 2011

Almost Blown Away

I was really looking forward to this morning, it was going to be my first ride in about 3 weeks (spring break, weather, kids, etc). The plan was to head out about 8:30am and return by around 11 in order to get a quick run in before picking up my two sassy princesses at noon. Forecast said 40* and wind at 8-10mph out of the SSW. I headed out a bit late and arrived at my girlfriends house at 9:15. I was hot, the temp was closer to 50* and the winds were much stronger than 8-10 mph - maybe 15-20 would have been my guess.  

We headed south - right into the wind - and uphill. If there is one weather element that I dislike the most, it's wind. The climb was slight for the first few miles so it was doable, and then to the rolling hills. When we finally turned around we FLEW back a good portion of the way, that was the fun part. But of course, going fast and easy always goes by so much faster, so it seemed short! Then we turned west to head home, the winds had picked up and were up to 30mph gusts by now (I checked when I got home because they seemed way stronger than what the forecast had said). And of course, we were heading dead on, into the wind, with gusts coming from the south that almost pushed me off the road a few times. I was seriously CRAWLING up the last hill before turning north to go the last 2 miles home. Those last two miles flew by again with the wind behind me. 

My initial plan was to hop off and run 4.5 miles. About half way through the ride I changed it to 2.5, I blamed the Cross Fit session I had yesterday.  I know, I'm a wimp! I get wimpier, I assure you! When I got home I ran in to change and thought, well, I could take a shower before I go get my girls, or I could run a couple miles and shower after we go to their swimming lessons (which was the original plan). So, I wimped out, and showered. I really did not want to face that wind again. My husband is getting ready for the St. George Ironman and has to ride 100 miles tomorrow (between a swim and a run), and it's supposed to be even windier tomorrow. I don't envy him.

No comments:

Post a Comment