Sunday, September 2, 2012

Utah Half 70.3 Race Recap - August 25, 2012

70.3 miles of Swimming Biking and Running  5:33:08 total time 
13th Female overall (out of 101), 4th in my division (out of 18)

Another Utah Half Ironman in the books. This was my 3rd year in a row doing this race. It is one I will most likely do every year (**unless we decide to go to the AG nationals for the Olympic distance one year - which is the week before this race - that would be fun and a great experience also  - I've qualified to go each of the last 2 years but haven't done it yet) The longer races are my priority right now.

The Utah Half is a great race, run well, great support, great course, shaded run ;), the ONLY COMPLAINT I have each year is that for some reason or another they can NEVER GET THE DISTANCES right!! 2010 - the swim was long (that's more understandable than getting the bike or run distances wrong though!) 2011 - The swim was actually a tad short, and the bike was 3 MILES SHORT!?!? 2012 - bike was right on (i'm sure they heard enough comments about it from last year) - BUT the swim was again long (like 1/4 mile long), and the RUN was over 1/2 MILE LONG!!! Ouch!! that hurt!! So while I like to compare from year to year - they are making it tough to do so!

SWIM 1.2 miles (actual approx 1.4m) 42:19
Wave starts for the swim. My wave was very last - I hate that!! But at least for the most part it means not getting passed for the rest of the race, and I am passing others (mental boost). Not eventful swim, I didn't really ever get into a groove of drafting, which I do like to try to do if the opportunity affords itself. the swim was a 2 loop though so by the time we hit the first loop, the waves that had started 15/20 minutes ahead of us were coming around for loop 2 (I don't agree that wave starts make things less congested - usually it is the opposite - it just happens out on the course instead of at the beginning - which is more of a pain because you finally get into the groove of your swim and all of a sudden someone is climbing over you or you are bumping into the slower swimmers from the waves ahead of you). The swim did feel long and when I saw I had 400ish yards to go I looked at my watch and it read 33 min, I should be done in 4-5 minutes (37-38 was my goal) - I knew that wouldn't happen. I got out of the water and my watch read 41 something. It's a bummer when the course is wrong (for my own personal comparisons), but at least for race purposes - everyone is doing the same course! I was 6/18 in my division in the swim and 28/101 females - that's about where I usually fall (top 25-30% of the swim).

T1 - 1:26
I ran into transition and pulled my wetsuit off, threw on my helmet, glasses and shoes, grabbed gels and inhaler for my back jersey pocket and got on my way.

BIKE 56miles  2:51:05
The Bike is a nice flat course with mostly decent roads. There are several turns, especially in the first 8-9 miles. I got onto the bike and started to work on bringing my breathing in check. I began to eat and drink asap and ate something every 25-30 min. I went through 3 blueberry muffins (homemade and full of good stuff - apple, banana, blueberries, raisins, pecans, flax seed, oat bran, greek yogurt, brown sugar, white flour (I make them with wheat flour too - but white for races)- they are really good and great for you!!) Then I started in on the gels. I drank 4-5 water bottles of either water or EFS fluid through the bike. There were several girls that I kept leap frogging with (doesn't it always seem that way?!) I felt good on the whole ride and tried to push as much as I though I could. there was a definite wind that seemed to change directions every time I turned to remain a constant headwind! My bike MPH average was 19.7 ish - my average was higher last year (but there was less wind then, and I may have pushed too hard last year because my run suffered because of it last year). I have been practicing getting my feet out of the shoes before I get off the bike and so I did that as I came down the last stretch of road, then hopped off the bike barefoot to run into transition.

T2 - 1:07
quick and uneventful T2 - grabbed my visor and gels and headed out.

RUN 13.1 miles (actual was 13.68) 1:57:13  8:34 pace
I felt great starting the run and again worked on getting my breathing in check and not going too fast. Because of the way your legs spin on the bike, the natural tendency is to run much faster than you should right off the bike. I watched my pace and tried to keep it just around 8:30 and not let it get much faster (for now).  My goal was to run a low 8 min pace. Much of the run course is shaded and that is wonderful because it was HOT by now (mid 80s) and sunny. I ran with a girl for a few minutes and we talked. I enjoy doing that because it distracts me, but also if I am able to talk  while running, then I know I am not going too fast at the beginning. My run is my strongest leg and I always am able to pass way more than pass me. I use everyone ahead of me as my short term goals, and as long as I stay within my comfort zone, it is a helpful distraction. There was one girl who passed me on the run, and I knew she would. We actually were parked in transition next to each other and talked quite a bit before the race. Super sweet girl! This was her first 70.3, but as we talked I found out that she is an amazing runner - her best marathon is a 3:04!  I saw her on the run, about a 1/2 mile behind me on the first out and back (there are a couple of out and backs on the 2 loop course so you get to see who is close to you, both in front and behind). We shouted encouragement to each other as we passed and I knew it would not be long before she caught me! It wasn't! She kept reeling people in and every time I saw her she had passed more! I had too, but not at her pace! She ended up 2nd in our division with the 3rd fastest run of the females.

I felt great most of the run and kept to my nutrition plan -which was to drink water at every aid station (every mile) dump a cup of water on my head, and take a gel every 2-3 miles. I was able to make it to the run without needing to go to the bathroom so that meant my bike stayed clean ;). No GI issues on the run either so no stopping for me. I don't mind running while I go #1 and I do on the run as needed. I did not pay attention to the distance on my watch when I finished the first loop. I should have! If I had, I would have noticed that it was long and that 2 loops was going to be significantly longer than 13.1miles. Live and learn! I hit mile 12 and felt really good still so I picked up the pace, thinking I had a mile to go. At about 12.7 I wondered if I had taken a wrong turn or done an extra turn that was I was not supposed to because I knew I would not reach the finish in .4 miles. I was starting to stress that I really had gone the wrong way! There are not TONS of people that do this race and while there were always runners ahead of and behind me, I had already started to lap some of them and did not know if perhaps on the 2nd loop we were supposed to go somewhere different?! I was pretty sure I was on the right track though so I kept going and pushing hard hoping the finish would appear soon!! FINALLY I saw the turn that took me to the finish and my watch read 13.68 when I crossed the line. I had hoped to beat my Oceanside run time (1:53:11) - and knew I did not do that!! But my pace was faster, (8:34 this race vs. 8:38 in Oceanside - barely faster) - but that's all I could hope for and I was happy with it. I had the 4th fastest run in my division and the 9th fastest run out of 101 females.

Bill got 3rd in his division and made the podium! So proud of him!!

The craziest part of this day was afterwards! My 20 year high school reunion was that same night, BUT IN CALIFORNIA! We were staying at my sister-in-law's house in Utah for the race. I went back to her house with my husband, showered super fast, and jumped in the car to head to the airport. I had a 5pm flight out of SLC, arriving in Orange County at 6pm for my reunion that started at 7pm in San Clemente (about 40 min from the airport). I made my flight - barely - they were calling final call when I ran up to the gate! I wore my compression pants and socks on the flight to aid in recovery! Once in Cali - I got my rental car and went to my girlfriend's house to actually get dressed and ready (my hair was still wet (I threw it in a bun and threw a visor on for the flight!) and I had not done my make-up. I showed up to the reunion about 7:30pm and had a blast!such a fun night. I was up until close to 3am (got up at 4:15 am that morning for the race), THEN I got to sleep for 3 hours because I had to head back to the airport to fly to SLC at 7:30am to meet my family on their way up to Jackson Hole, WY. We were in the middle of a family vacation and I had to get back! When I went to bed Saturday night after the reunion (sunday morning actually) - I totally felt like I was getting sick - my throat was starting to close up! UUUUGH! I loaded up on vitamins and went to bed early the next couple of days and fortunately I avoided the sickness!!  It was a whirlwind of a weekend with the race and reunion, but I loved it all! The following few days we had a great trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone.


 


 In the Yellowstone Grand Canyon
 at the top of Jackson Hole
 old faithful
The Grand Tetons

Next Race is the Hamptons Marathon in New York, Sept 29. Then the Florida Ironman 5 weeks after that on Nov. 2.



1 comment:

  1. Would you share your muffin recipe? I've never tried using muffins for nutrition during a race and am intrigued to give it a try! P.S. Awesome job on the race...I'm going to look into this one!

    ReplyDelete