Sunday, May 11, 2014

Hawaii Ironman 70.3 - Race Recap

Hawaii 70.3 Ironman 
June 2, 2013

This was probably the hardest race I have done to this point. And my time was the longest I've ever had for a half Iron distance race. But relative to the field, I was still about where I usually am, for a decent, but not fabulous race. Which means everyone was affected by the conditions, not just me! A couple friends who have done this race before said the conditions were the worst they've ever raced here, and their times reflected that. 

The heat and humidity were high (temp from 80-90 and humidity was the same!) - coming from Colorado, that kills!!  Then there was the wind! Choppy water made for a longer than normal swim time, and wind on the bike was whipping! Gusts up to 40 mph. I really had to hold onto the handle bars at some points to not get blown over! Nonetheless I still felt pretty good on the swim and the bike, all things considered. It was the heat on the run that got me. Much of the run course is on a golf course with some of the run actually on the grass, it was like a steam room stepping onto the grass to run, I literally felt like I was cutting through the air with each step.


I'm not sure where the smile came from! Unless this was at the beginning of the run when I still felt ok!



 We took the whole family with us and had a wonderful vacation the week following the race!






No comments:

Post a Comment