Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Running in the Wind

A couple of good hard runs always boost me mentally and physically. Satutday I ran with my coach Kari. We did 8.5 miles on a relatively flat trail in Parker (Cherry Creek Trail for those who know)  - The run was intervals, we had to choose a pace that we felt I could hold for all the run intervals: 1min run/ rest/ 2min run/ rest/ 3 min run/ rest/ 4 min run/ rest 5 min run/ rest/ 6min run/ rest - then back down the ladder: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (all had 90sec rest in between, plus a 2 min rest between the two 6 min runs). We chose a 7 min/mile pace. I knew I'd be ok the shorter intervals but the longer ones were going to be HARD (but that was the point, right?!) - My heart rate was up - I hit 190 on the last few min of the 6 min runs, and consistently in the 180s for those longer intervals. (my max HR is around 195, I think).

Overall I ran approx 6 of the 8.5 miles at a 7 min/pace or just above(7:15/30) (42 min total running at approx a 7min/mile) - that's a 10k! Not that I could go out and run a 10k in 42 min, but I'm getting closer!!

Today I ran 5 miles - tempo on miles 2, 3, 4. So one mile warm up, 2-4 fast, 1 mile cooldown. The three tempo miles were 7:40, 7:55, and 7:15 (can you tell which were uphill!?) - I am happy with that - I was actually hoping my average for the three (7:37) would be a bit faster - but, I am pleased with baby steps!

Oh - and both days were windy (10-15mph), gotta love springtime in Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment